Don’t send videos directly via text message or chat application – instead, share the link to the version stored in the cloud.
Videos can be more difficult than photos to share with friends and family. If you take more than a few seconds of content, the original file ends up too large to be sent directly via text message or chat application such as WhatsApp or Hangouts. You cannot upload and send as is.
Fortunately, the default photo gallery application on your phone must have a built-in feature that avoids this problem. All you have to do is select the video you want to share, generate a link, and then send the URL to your recipient. The application handles uploading files to the cloud and all other back-end work.
The following details how to do it.
How to share videos on Android
This screenshot shows the video sharing process through the default photo gallery application on Samsung Galaxy phones.
- Open your mobile photo gallery application. Samsung users must search for “Gallery” and stock Android users must search for “Photos” (aka Google Photos). Other cell phone manufacturers will follow a similar naming.
- Find the video you want to share. The simplest way to do this is to browse through a mixture of your photos and videos. Some applications also allow you to search for the word “video,” which will filter and only display certain types of files.
- Long press on the video. In some applications, a text menu will appear; choose Share. In other applications, what you need to find is the Share and tap icon. (It looks like the letter “V” with dots, rotated clockwise to the right.)
- You can choose to share the link directly to the application, or copy the link. The first saves a little time if you only have one recipient, while the second is more helpful if you want to paste the URL in several chat windows and / or applications.
- If you choose to share directly to the application, select the application from the options displayed on the menu – usually it is a chat or email application.
- If you create a link, that link will be copied to your mobile clipboard, and now you can navigate manually to the application that you want to paste. Firing!
Having trouble running these steps in your phone’s default gallery application? Google Photos is available for everyone to download on the Google Play Store – so you can use this application specifically for sharing video files.
Sharing videos through Google Photos can take up your storage allotment for your Google account depending on your settings. The free account has 15GB of space shared across all services, which includes Gmail, Drive, and Photos; you can overcome this limitation by changing the backup settings Google Photo to “High Quality,” which offers unlimited storage but limits video resolution to 1080p.)
This screenshot shows the process of sharing videos through the default photo gallery application via the Google Photos application.
Alternative method (safe)
As mentioned above, sharing videos in this way depends on cloud storage. The Samsung gallery application uses temporary storage, while Google Photos requires that you still have free space attached to your account. In both cases, the file is placed on the server, and then the application provides a shareable link.
However, by default, this link can be seen by everyone – so if your video is passed on to someone else without your knowledge, they can also watch it. You can maintain your privacy by instead of uploading your files to a cloud storage service (such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive) and sending a link via email that limits the viewing for certain audiences.
Examples of safer sharing processes, as seen in Dropbox. The process is generally similar in Google Drive, OneDrive, etc., but the details and layout of the application may differ slightly.
Instructions differ slightly in each service application, but follow these general steps:
- Download the service application that you selected through the Google Play Store app.
- Register or enter the service.
- Upload your video. (Usually, you will tap the plus sign icon, then choose from your most recent file.)
- Share a copy of your new video. You will usually do this by pressing and pressing the Share icon, or tapping the three vertical dots next to the file and selecting Share.
- Select “Invite people” or “Send to” – while creating a link also exists as an option, which works the same as sharing through the Samsung Gallery application or Google Photos and does not restrict access.
- Fill in the email address of the person you want to send the link to. In some applications, you may also need to change the permission level from Edit to View, and / or enable the entry requirements to gain access to the file.
- Send invitation.